Re: [NTLK] Is iPod Touch the Newtons future?

From: Bertrand LAMBERT <bertrand.lambert_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 19:01:57 EST

Hello all,

I'll try to explain what is my feelings about iPhone and what I loved
in Newton.
Initially, excuse my approximate English and be lenient.

I adored in newton the recognition of the manual writing which misses
absolutely and without excuses with the iPhone.
Naturally, copy/paste is also a completely essential element which
misses with the iPhone.

Iphone is much more directed communication than was to it the Newton
which at its hour did not attend the ways of Internet
I love the Newton at his time, I have appreciated the Nokia 9100 and
9500 which were very poor in communications with Macs before the iPhone.
I've found in iPhone a complete solution for synchronization whith
Macs or PC as it was with Newton.
In complement the number of applications for the iphone is fantatstic.
Number of them are useless or futile, but some are really useful and
really modern.
I've "jailbroken" my iPhone to have a complete free tool as the Newton
was, it's the only point of disagree with Apple policy. (as usual,
like for Macs system)

I've tried the chineese hand writing tool but was not satisfied with
it because of non recognition of french setup for keypad.
For the camera, it's not essential, it's a phone or a smartphone and
not a complete camera to manage photos.

Communication is the main line for an iPhone and if ways of
communications were the same in 1994, Newton would have the same as
iPhone.

Newton is born and dead to early in his century.

I used now sometimes my Newton and my Emate for fun but not for
working because my MacBook Pro is not able to etablish communications
with them.

Newton was an extraordinary tool in 1994, iPhone is same in 2008, in
2022 I hope Apple will create an other very extraordinary tool.

Bertrand