Re: [NTLK] Is iPod Touch the Newtons future?

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 23:53:39 EST

Looks like HWR, notes application and organizer (i.e. categories/folders) are
coming:

http://www.phatware.com/index.php?q=page/show/products

Don't know how its going to work without a stylus though. Must feel really
strange writing with your fingernail all the time?

It has a connection to the Newton too as the HWR engine is a direct evolutionary
descendant of Calligrapher (v2 was in the Newton and I see they are up to v8.7
now).

Tony.

[snip] I also can do without the HWR since I usually end up using the onscreen
keyboard on my newt because most of my data to enter doesn't like the HWR (gear
charts for race cars, web addresses, etc.). [snip]

[snip] First and most important to me is the lack of a good notes app. The
built-in notes app looks similar to the newts but lacks folders. I'm going to
try some 3rd party apps but reviews I've read so far don't give me hope. Second
is battery life. The battery life of the touch really sucks if your punishing it
with lots of web surfing, app downloading, or worse online gaming. It seems to
do ok if you've got the wifi off but its still no where near the newt, you need
to charge it atleast every night if not sooner. Maybe if they made it as thick
as the iphone 3g we'd be set. Third is the lack of copy and paste. This one
really bugs me because I use C&P on my blackberry and newt all the time. And
last it lacks the Agent and overall search funtions of the newt although it does
have in-app searches for some apps. Lack of HWR may be a deal breaker depending
on if you are really fond of it.[snip]