Re: [NTLK] When was the last time you saw another Newton

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 10 2009 - 23:08:41 EDT

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Andy Hill <adhill@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Here's a question
>
> Has anyone in the last 5 years actually seen another person carrying or
> using a Newton in public or at a meeting?

Hm, The first sighting by me was after I convinced my friend Wai-Hung to by
an MP100 when they were going on clearance for $169 mail order at ClubMac.

I should have had a second sighting shortly after that at the Newton Store
in Manhattan. But due to time constrainghts and inpatients I missed out on
that and ordered my Flash Card from them over the phone.

The official second sighting would then have been when I bought my second
MP2000 from Owen Lock who at the time was a VP at The Ballantine Publishing
Group <http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/> a subsidiary of Random House,
Inc.<http://www.randomhouse.com/>

I was a Newton Sighting in Italy when I went to a Murano Glass Factory .
While walking through the show room an employee approached me on behalf of
the owners son's who wanted to buy my Newton right there and was willing to
barter for it with a piece of Murano Glass valued at $2,00 to $3,000 USD...
But due to my fear that my wife's cat would knock it over and break it it
never happened. But it was a neat story as my wife gave me the look when I
was approached... she basically said, 'Oh brother ... the look...', hahaha.

And though there have been a few other recent sightings of me with a Newton.
One that was interesting to me was my kid's Pediatrician. I had brought out
my Newton when I brought my kids to his office for a visit. When he see it
he asks, 'Is that a Newton?' and of course the ensuing conversation reveals
he had one a long time ago but no longer has it now.

Unfortunately the only other sighting of other Newton Users with their
Newton was Ronnie Simon and Elizabeth Garlick when they came to visit NYC.
This occurred after WWNC 2004. Most unfortunate was that later on Ronnie
would have lost his beloved Newton.

Ah, enough of me reminiscing
TX for the thread Andy.

--