Re: [NTLK] Spam?

From: Larry Yaeger <lsynt2_at_beanblossom.in.us>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 06:06:28 EDT

At 1:20 AM -0400 7/16/09, L.W. Brown wrote:
>In several years of membership, I've -never- gotten spam directly from
>the list, but spam does arrive, even with my "good" address.
>I just use a filter...

Right. I've never received spam from the list itself. But I use unique email addresses with every business and email list I use, so I can tell when a particular source has been compromised (or is being abused, which is not the case here). A place I like to order coffee from had their computer infected and I was able to alert them because spam started showing up to an address that only they had. In this case there's no reason to think the server has been infected, because that archive is there with all the addresses not very well obscured. Not a huge deal, just another intrusion by the evil spam devils.

I use all kinds of filters. Spam still occasionally makes it through. That annoys me, but isn't that big a deal. What really bothers me is the occasional false positive--legitimate email that I would really like to have received that some spam filter somewhere decided was spam. If the message gets bounced, then at least the sender knows I never saw it. But some systems just swallow the message, so people think I've received stuff that I haven't. Fortunately it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. And that makes me want to do nasty things to spammers everywhere.

- larryy