Re: [NTLK] A Day In the life of...

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 21:55:26 EDT

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:40:19 -0400, Chris C wrote:

> I think it would be cool to track your newton usage for the day. What
> programs you use, and for what purpose. I'm keeping a log today and
> will post up my information later!

We have a small farm, with a few goats, chickens, and a garden. I am
'retired', as my previous employer outsourced my entire department. I was
lucky enough to qualify for a small pension. While I was working, I used
my Newton in a chemistry lab to perform calculations using Assist Calc,
Works spreadsheets (linear regressions), and various calculators, and the
normal PIM functions. Currently, I will use any or all of the following
on any given day (most of which I actually interacted with in some way
today, as noted):

Alarm Clock:

Especially on those days when I have to pick up #3 son from
work at 7:00am (Saturday is one)

Dateman:

Keeping track of ToDos, Appointments and events. Some typical 'ToDos'
that I use:

      - Car Maintenance reminders, which I schedule, such as checking fluids
and tire pressures. (Especially important for the car that I _don't_
usually drive)
      - Household scheduled maintenance/checks, such as changing the water
filter and furnace filter, checking the sump pump operation, draining
sediment from the hot water tank, etc. (scheduled for this weekend)
      - Changing the fish tank filter (scheduled for today).
      - Cleaning birdhouses in the fall
      - Computer back-ups and maintenance (one scheduled for today)
      - Other things that I need reminders for, that My Lady Technophobe
doesn't keep track of.

PocketMoney:

Keep track of expenses. (Bought groceries today).

I send a detailed summary quarterly to my Mac using Exchange and a
terminal emulator on the Mac end, which then gets imported into an annual
spreadsheet for working on taxes. This is really the only data
interconnectivity that I worry about between the Newton and my other
computers.

MPG:

Gas mileage, mileage-based service reminders, and records of maintenance
performed on the vehicle that I routinely drive. (I got a reminder today
to change the air filter).

Games: Solo DX, Mines, Mona, Dell Crosswords, Daleks, Little Peking, Word
Square, Newtiles, Newtris.

As needed to preserve sanity.

Names:

The Newton is my 'master' address book. I will occasionally try to 'sync'
Names with the Mac Address Book, but for the most part, ignore differences
until looking up names in both locations becomes a bother.

GeekSafe:

Used to store passwords. This is one function that I would really like to
be able to 'sync' onto my Mac in a way that is password protected on both
platforms.

Notes:

    - Running list of garden yield: an outline, with the type of vegetable
and (as applicable) sub-topics for fresh or frozen. I then add additional
sub (or sub-sub) topics with the date and how many family meals were eaten
or 'put by'. (Picked broccoli today for lunch)

    - I also have an outline which estimates how much we spent to plant each
type of vegetable.

    - Grocery List (went shopping today): I keep a checklist 'template'
that
is organized by aisle in my favorite store. I duplicate it, and add my
items. I have codes that I put in the list to indicate whether I have a
coupon, or if there is an especially good special. My Newton comes to the
store with me, and I check off things as I go. Also helps to avoid
impulse purchases. Nobody has ever remarked on my idiosyncrasy...

    - Herd Health checklists: When I am doing health-related 'stuff' with
the
goats, such as hoof trimming (currently working my way thru the herd), I
rarely do it all on one day (3 yesterday, one today). I have a 'template'
checklist of all the
animals, which I duplicate for such task 'cycles' to check off when an
individual is done. I will also use the ButtonBar keypad to insert the
date that it was done for each animal.

    - I also make a duplicate of the 'template', adding the freshening
(kidding) date on the same line as the goat's name (had a set of twins
born last
night), with sub-topics for each kid, with name and tattoo code (all our
goats are white, so until they develop distinguishing physical attributes
or personalities, I'll read the tattoo to make sure I have the right one).

Calculator:

When on a grocery shopping expedition, used to verify whether the unit
price of, say, a brand-name item that I have a coupon for is less than a
similar generic product. (Used today to compare prices)

Works:

Most of my usage is in QFWorks - I routinely do weight-based medications
and vaccinations. The Newton comes out to the barn with me, with a
spreadsheet set up with the weight vs. dosage calculations. I use a
measuring tape to 'weigh' the goat, and then plug the weight into the
spreadsheet to get the final dose. Again, I put the date in for each
animal as it is done. (Today was worming day for the last goat on my
list.)

Evening:

Notes/HyperNewt: write up some notes on the day, usually in outline
form. I'm doing something similar to the Orwell Diaries (not for
news/current events), but on my Newton.
<http://orwelldiaries.wordpress.com/>

--
Don Zahniser