Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Spam?

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 06:48:39 EDT

Hello,

--- On Sat, 7/18/09, John Broughton <jdbroughton@yahoo.com> wrote:

>At some point some enforcement agency is going to have to step in to stop >the SPAM abuse or, as it's been pointed out, the internet infrastructure
>is eventually going to collapse under the pressure.

The Internet has succeeded as it has because it *is* so open. And, like any system, there are always going to be ding-dongs who will attempt to exploit it for personal gain.

That being said, seeing the words "enforcement agency" and "internet" in the same sentence sent a thrill down my spine. Because I've no doubt that the very openness and accessibility of the Internet is a constant source of irritation (if not umbrage) to some entities (naming no names) who are focused on trying to control people rather than on letting them work things out amongst themselves. And I've also no doubt that these same folks are eager to seize the flimsiest pretext in order to start telling you and I what we can and can't do online.

The CAN-SPAM Act has taught us (or at least, has helped to illustrate) that asking the authorities to step in may not be the best approach to solving this problem. Spammers have indeed been prosecuted under this act, but, just like drug dealers, when one spammer is sent to the clink, two more spring up to take his place. Sure, the anonymity that these folks can operate under is certainly annoying, but it's worth bearing in mind that access to that same anonymity is what helps keep the Internet viable and serves to protect the people who use it for legitimate purposes.

So, yes, I agree that dealing with spam is a PITA and makes using the Internet a much less pleasant experience than it otherwise might be. However, I, for one, would just as soon take my chances on the Very Clever People who have worked together peacefully in a loose coalition to keep the 'net going for this long rather than entrusting some "enforcement agency" to go around busting people with the inevitable unforeseen consequences that giving people that kind of power leads to.

You and I may not like spam, but there are those in power who do not appreciate the fact that you and I, through the Internet, have the ability to communicate with each other freely and openly. So speaking for myself, I will gladly take my chances with the Internet as-is, spammers and all, than seek to give an "enforcement agency" a pretext to start shoving their noses into what goes on online.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I can't help but notice that there are quite a few people in the Real World who are eager to tell me what to do and when to do it. I do not want these same folks running around in the virtual world as well, trying to run my life there, too.

Best,

James Fraser