Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Spam?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 11:59:36 EDT

On 7/19/2009 10:45 AM, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
> John Broughton wrote:
>> I've been reading this thread for some time and have only one thing to add. At some point some enforcement agency is going to have to step in to stop the SPAM abuse or, as it's been pointed out, the internet infrastructure is eventually going to collapse under the pressure. Considering the value of the commerce that moves over the Internet every day, there are not that many other options available. The method to stop it is simple. Follow the money trail and take away the monetary incentive of the practice. It's the old story, follow the money. Stop the money and the SPAM will stop.
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Years ago I read that software and protocols had been created that
> stopped spam cold and all the ISPs had to do was set it up on all their
> outgoing servers. Unfortunately, most ISPs were to lazy/cheap to
> implement it so now we're stuck with spam.

Very true, but I don't think that anyone was saying that we needed a
regulatory agency to totally take over, but rather something like what
Dennis wrote above. Although I agree that government rarely stops at
any one level and just trys to be more and more controlling making the
problem worse. Just making a law won't do it.

It is true that (if I remember correctly) the newer version if the
Internet Protocol allows for the stopping of spam as it has several
methods to track and verify where mail came from (if used). However to
switch over, is as you pointed out, expensive (not to mention a
headache). At one point we were going to have to as the world was
running out of IP addresses. But then cheap routers came around and
this saved the day sort of speak. In the long run, I have to wonder if
it would have been better to just switch over to IP6. This is what is
needed, some sort of way to just block spam instead of filtering it.
The only reason why it has not been done....as it was said before it all
boils down to *money*. Spammers won't stop unless there is no longer a
way to make money at it. This can't be done unless the current system
is changed. And changes won't be done until ISP's have to. Which they
will do once the system starts to collapse, it is just a matter of time.

As a side note it still amazes me that some fools buy things from spam.
 I have yet to meet someone that ever has, yet there are obviously
people somewhere as the spammers still keep sending spam.

When the internet protocols were created there was never any thought
given to security. Just like windows was never designed with security
in mind. And we are still paying for that decision it all these years
later.

-Dan