Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Spam?

From: John Broughton <jdbroughton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 12:39:40 EDT

I apologize for my previous post as it was a sort of trolling to test the waters as it were. And I agree completely with Mr. Frazer's well written posting. After all, when has turning anything over to any government ever solved a problem without causing more problems? There are too many laws on the books that compromise or limit our freedoms to institute more of the same. SPAM, phishing, and SCAMs can and will be controlled by the using community more effectively than any government intervention. As pointed out by another poster, public education is one area where this can be effective. One true thing I said earlier was that if you eliminate the monetary incentive for doing anything, that thing will soon go away. If a spammer can't make money doing what they do, they'll stop doing it.
One final thought, bouncing SPAM back to the supposed source, which usually have nothing to do with the SPAM, is a bad idea, as pointed out by many. I administer several corporate and private email arrays and our filtering systems manages to catch and eliminate thousands of SPAM/SCAM/phishing emails every day without restricting the flow of legitimate traffic. We get few false positives using simple rules. We simply detect, bury, and then delete it without any form of reply, click, or ET Calling Home.

Again, thanks to all.