Re: [NTLK] OT Palm Pre

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 05:11:10 EDT

I think another reason apple may have decided to cripple multitasking
in a stock iPhone/iPod Touch is user experience. I know it sounds
silly but as it has been said, the iPhone is targeted at the broader
market and multitasking would just add complexity for a new user. It
took me awhile to get used to closing apps on my blackberry since the
other smartphone platforms I've used (palm, s60) would quit apps when
you hit the hangup key along with most standard cellphones that also
act that way. There was a similar learning curve when I first started
using macs since you can close all windows for an app and it can still
be open. What they need to do is have a consumer iPhone and an iPhone
Pro so they can please business/power users and not confuse new users
with a powerful but complex device. I guess they could also make one
device but put the choice to the user like with the simple/normal
finder option OS9 had. Performance was probably the main issue though.
A perfect way to really show this is by adding 10 episodes of the
retromaccast podcast to your iTunes download que and then try to
listen to music or work in another app. This will add noticable
pokeyness to the ui (a few times I even had the music app quit due to
low memory) as well as eat you battery since the podcasts keep
downloading in the background. I don't know how fast a multitasked dl
stream over 2g/3g eats a battery (I have a touch) but on wifi it seems
to be pretty fast where as a singletasked dl stream isn't as bad
(example: pandora radio). Maybe with a little more iPhone os
optimization...

*I have no affiliation with retromaccast other than being a happy
listener, they've even mentioned the newtons and emates a bit despite
not being macs.

Joe Reilly

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 22, 2009, at 3:56, James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com