Re: [NTLK] [OT] USPS

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 09:43:09 EDT

James Fraser wrote:

> Put it this way: even if, as you say, Standard Mail users subsidize First Class Mail users, if the cost of First Class Mail were to go up $0.20, but your mailbox was relatively junk mail free, would you consider this to be a fair trade off? :)

Here is how we've eliminated the vast majority of junk mail: Whenever
the mailer included a business reply envelope, we just stuff everything,
including to original outside envelope, into the business reply
envelope. We also write on one of the forms telling them to remove our
names and address from any lists they have. Since they have to pay an
extra fee on the reply envelope, plus over-size/weight charges, it has
cut down the amount of junk mail though it does take a while. We've been
doing this for about 15 years.

> For myself, I would like to see people bear the costs they actually incur, as opposed to being forced to subsidize the costs that *other* people incur. That, to me, is the fairest way of doing things, but I can certainly understand why other people might not share that same view. ;)

Agreed, that is why I'd like to see the income tax be replaced with a
National Sales Tax or Value Added Tax, though that would probably be a
tax increase for me. ;)

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney