Re: [NTLK] [OT?] USPS (was Spam?)

From: Ken Whitcomb <ken_at_imageguild.com>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 10:15:49 EDT

Dan,
Thanks for the correction about the USPS. I've been too busy until
this moment to comment on any of the inaccuracies I've seen recently.
The three things that I feel compelled to add my $.02 about are:
1) The USPS has an obligation to provide pick up and delivery service
to all customers, as well as exclusive rights to place items in
patrons mailboxes (whether they be a PO box or a rural mailbox, I
think mail slots in doors are excluded) and sole rights to deliver
first-class letters except in "urgent" cases. Wikipedia has a very
good summary.
2) One element that drives costs of goods and services up higher for
businesses over the same by governements is profit. Profit is a good
thing, but when a company can't maintain their margins, they and their
goods and services disappear from the marketplace. So perhaps it's a
very good thing that companies like DHL were never given access to the
monopoly currently held by the USPS.
3) I don't know of anyone that truly wants to have the "true cost" of
goods and services they use reflected in the price they pay. Whether
transportation, food, education, police services, fire services,
manufacturing, health care, or even having one's car repaired after a
collision, no one really wants to pay the true cost out of pocket.
Some people think that they want that, but there's always something
they are ignoring or don't know what the true costs are. This
especially applies to the Newton MP given what Apple sunk into R&D. If
all of us had to pay the true cost of design and production of (for
some us, many) Newtons, most could not afford it.

There, I even brought this discussion back to our green friends!
ken