Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: David Neale <david.neale_at_telenet.be>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 08:34:24 EDT

On 25 Jul 2009, at 03:34, Morgan Aldridge wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM, David Neale<david.neale@telenet.be>
> wrote:
>
>> Oops, I missed the table of info returned from your ADSL router.
>>
>> It's got an IP of 192.168.1.1, so is it providing DHCP to your other
>> machines? It is if they're getting IPs in the 192.168.1.x range and
>> are set by DHCP.

Well, I have no idea what DHCP is (other than that using the DHCP
setting in Hiroshi's driver doesn't work), nor how to see which IPs
the Macs have. Sorry.

>> If they are, then you'll want to do the following:
>>
>> 1) Disable sharing a single IP in the AirPort (that way you don't
>> have
>> double-NAT which might cause some issues) by going to the "Network"
>> tab an unchecking the "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox. Then save
>> the settings, of course.

This will not affect the WiFi connections from the Macs…?

>> 2) Then make sure that the AirPort is plugged into your router via
>> the
>> Ethernet (<••>) port, as opposed to the WAN (the little dotted
>> circle)
>> port to make sure it's properly picking up DHCP from your router.

The Ethernet cable is connected to the Ethernet port of both devices
(not the dotted circle).

>> It should then get an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range and it
>> should be able to pass DHCP through to devices on the WiFi.
>>
>> This'll get you on the right path, but it'll likely take more
>> troubleshooting, so let us know how it goes.
>
> If your AirPort is in fact getting a self-assigned IP address
> (169.254.x.x, as shown in your screenshots) then I'd be highly
> surprised if anything was able to get online when connected through
> it. Also, having double network address translation (NAT; once in your
> router and then a second time in your AirPort) by having your AirPort
> also share a single IP address is likely to cause you even further
> problems.

But I don't have any other problems, and people who visit with their
laptops are able to get online, too (if I give them the password!). My
wife bought a MacBook a couple of weeks ago, came home, opened it up
and, with the Airport network password, is online straight away -- no
settings at all to be done on the Mac. I realise that the Newton
operating system and its networking add-ons are not as sophisticated
as those of MacOS X, but I think this shows that the network setup of
the Airport is at least functional, if not 100% according to the
rules. I suppose what I'm really trying to say is, believe me, it works.