Re: [NTLK] USB-Serial connection

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 22:25:09 EDT

Phil

Wow, based on responses so far, it looks like you might be the only one! ;)

In this situation he isn't getting a response at all and the Newton just times
out.

In my experiences with serial connections, I could always usually get a
connection but it might drop out part way through, which slowdown seemed to
(imperfectly) address.

Any ideas on why he isn't getting a response at all? I suppose it is possible
that he might be really unlucky and his cable which was bought from JK Sales is
faulty...

Cheers

Tony

[snip]

Tony

I am using a wintel machine and USB to serial adapter (not the keyspan type)
and NCU. MY machine uses a Cyrix chip @ 600mhz and runs windows XP and
Newton Connection Utilities. This machine does not require running
slowdown.exe unless I am transferring large files, PC loses sync if I don't
run one instance.

I also connect to my dual core 1.6 ghz machine running XP SP3 and always
have to run multiple instances of slowdown.exe to even connect.

Phil Muller
Newton Enthusiast
110-130-2000-2000U
[snip]