Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V9 #256

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 21:43:46 EDT

James,
I don't get the digest version so I'm not sure exactly how that works but I do know that the post was marked as OT even though it wasn't always OT. In fact it was a very long and interesting thread that covered a few topics as I believe Steve already stated (most of which just barely grazed the iphone) . Had we split off all the different topics as they occurred its likely the conversation wouldn't have gone on so long and evolved through so many related topics (which also happened to be mostly related to the newt). I personally enjoyed all the views brought to the table and topics covered and had Matt read a few of the posts BEFORE having gotten upset he might have enjoying the thread too despite its subject's namesake (which he seems to have a serious issue with for some reason). On another front, how many times has the iphone/iPod touch been discussed in depth on this list in a way that didn't relate to the Newton? I can remember a few one-off OT iphone posts but mostly they always relate to the newt, li
ke the thread discussing the iphone stylus that are available now or the thread I personally started in January to discuss our favorite features of the Newton that were missing from the iphone/itouch. That thread not only gave me an idea of what 3rd party software that's already been released to check out (some of which are ports form newt apps) but also the features that aren't in current software to keep an eye out for in new apps so as to add Newton abilities to the iphone. It also showed me how others use their newtons and introduced me to new things on the newt (and things I had forgotten about as I haven't carried my newt full time in awhile). Oh, it also let me share a few apps I found that are newt-like with other fans of the green that may be carrying iphones and itouches today but still long for modern newts.
Its a simple fact that the iphone is a part of the world now and being an apple product it's going to get discussed here more then other manufacturers devices as a successor to the Newton. As long as its related to the Newton and its abilities I think it should be discussed here (in depth) just like palms, nokia n devices, blackberries, etc that also relate to the Newton and could be worth successors. People should more tactfully post their concerns when they think things have gone too far off topic (which again they really hadn't with the concerned thread if the time had been taken to read a few posts).

Joe Reilly