Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 05:24:27 EDT

~~~ On 2009/06/17 09:11, James Fraser at
wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> Hello,
>
> --- On Tue, 6/16/09, Steve Scotten <splicer@paroxysm.com> wrote:
>
>> Me too. Now that Documents To Go has been released (today!)
>> for the iPhone, an external keyboard is all I need to stop looking
>> for a replacement for my iPhone.
>
> Is an external keyboard something that Apple has added with the latest
> iteration? Or is this something that Apple still has not talked about making
> available yet (even via third-party licensing)?

Please excuse me; I know this is going to sound as though I'm being
sarcastic or difficult or something. I really, *really* don't mean it that
way. But I'm having a big problem here, and emphasis is the only way I can
think of to be sure that you understand why I'm having it.

Are we really talking seriously about an external keyboard for the iPhone?

An external keyboard, for a mobile phone? A cell phone? And not any cell
phone, but THE cell phone, the super-model of cell phones that makes you
look better by letting you bask in the aura of its beauty? The kind of
phone you slip into your pocket because it's so sleek and slim and small and
well, cool?

And aren't we talking about a mobile phone so sleek and slim and small and
cool that it not only shows up the drab clunkiness of all other mobile
phones, but it also highlights the flaw which others point out to us about
the Newton, that it's so big?

And doesn't adding an external keyboard on a cell phone as sleek and etc as
the aesthetic iPhone remind anyone except me of taking a Ferrari Enzo and
welding the back of it to the rear section of a VW Bus -- because you really
want a people carrier?

The keyboard will be what -- 3-4 times the size of the iPhone? Or will it
be a cut-down version that requires multiple function keys to work create
the missing keys? And which cargo-pants pocket will it go in? And will
people really whip out the keyboard when they have the spare 15 minutes or
half-an-hour, and write stuff into their iPhones with it?

I'm sure all that *might* catch on, and we'd see brazillions of iPhones
users sitting here and there typing into their super-sleek BlueTooth
keyboards (until their even-more-challenged iPhone battery bites the dust),
but somehow I think the hilarity factor when, say, you're sitting on a train
or coach might discourage a few folks from doing this. Or will it just be
the "dirty secret" in the homes and offices of iPhone users? (But if you're
only going to use it at home or the office, why not just create the docs on
a computer and zap them across when you need them?)

As I say, I really don't want to be difficult about this, but I'm not having
an easy time of seeing the point, either aesthetically or practically. Of
course I may be wrong, and maybe the world has been waiting for the Enzo
SportsPeople® and I just didn't know it.

Answers on a postcard or a poster -- whatever size it takes to help me get
this.

TIA.

Shalom.
Christian