Re: [NTLK] iPhone obsession

From: Riccardo Mori <rick_at_poc.it>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 19:05:30 EDT

Andy Hill wrote:

> Hope the humour translates.

I have a sense of humour, mind you, but I didn't find that sketch
quite funny. In my humble opinion, it lacked some taste (unlike many
other good sketches there). No offence intended, just my feelings n I
saw that.

I'll reiterate: I don't understand the aversion to the iPhone many
people on this list have shown lately. And I don't undestand why be so
territorial in the defence of the Newton. I've been a NewtonTalker
since 2004, and I've witnessed many off-topic discussions here. Some
of them *really* off-topic. In the past there have been a lot of
threads about other PDAs and portable devices, so I don't get why it's
so wrong exchanging views on the subject of the iPhone.

As I said in a previous message, I use both the iPhone and the
Newton(s), and I couldn't do without either. Both have strengths and
weaknesses, but together they're a killer team. Also, they share a
similarity, in my opinion: they're 'modular', they can grow and expand
to add more and more features and capabilities. Just imagine what you
can do now with the Newton and what you could do with it in the
1993-1998 years. With the OS 3.0 update and the new iPhone 3G[s], we
have a device which can do much more than just two years ago. And
third-party development is growing and contributing at a maddening
pace. The main area where the iPhone is lacking at the moment is the
creation/editing of documents, but if the iPhone/iPod touch platform
(and market) keeps growing at this pace, I believe that soon either
those features will be integrated into the iPhone, or there'll be an
entirely new touch device (some sort of iPhone's big brother, so to
speak) with a bigger screen and a user interface that's better
tailored for input. The possibility of interfacing a Bluetooth
keyboard or other input devices would be an interesting step in that
direction.

I don't see any 'obsession' in talking about these things, and I've
enjoyed the discussion so far.

Cheers,
Rick

You can follow me on Twitter