Re: [NTLK] [OT] It's MS-DOS 6.22 day!

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 15:10:21 EDT

Hello,

--- On Tue, 6/23/09, Abraham Limpo <abraham@familialimpo.net> wrote:

>By licencing the Operating System to clone manufacturers, we avoided
>precisely what happened with the Commodore Amiga, the Atari ST or the >Apple Macintosh, -or the newton- and that is to tie the software to the >hardware.

The Macintosh does not, technically, belong on this list. Power Computing and UMAX (among others) were licensed to make Mac clones in the mid-90s.

Yes, The Steve pulled the plug on that, but for a year or three, anyway, you could indeed buy a legitimate Mac clone from a third-party manufacturer. :)

Best,

James Fraser