Re: [NTLK] NBU, NCK et al: Beware of Windows XP restore points

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 11:26:33 EDT

On 14.03.2009, at 15:51, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> Hello? MICROSOFT?? Wouldn't it have been a
> tremendously excellent idea to make someone who
> has just spent a couple of hundreds of bucks on
> your stupid XP Professional aware of the benefits
> of password reset disks somewhat earlier?

I have been through the exact same situation. But what annoys me even
more is tha fact, that you can restore any password on any Windows
machine, just like that. All you need is physical access to a bootable
drive, and since most PCs these days even boot from a USB stick,
poking around on some coleagues computer is a breeze (or a colleague
sniffing out my machine..., or, hey, maybe the boss's office is
unlocked?).

Oh, and the same is of course true for OS X, unless you encrypt you
user account, but then TimeMachine will not work and you lose the
"restore points" feature that you describe.

I guess we just can't win ;-P

http://robowerk.com/