Re: [NTLK] Wifi Cards and Browsers

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 22:10:16 EDT

Internal wifi and Newton

So, having done some research, and getting some information from Sonny, I have a source for Orinoco wifi cards that, with modifications, would sit flush with the edge of the Newton. In fact, you would hardly know anything is there at all, as it will essentially look like a Flash card in its slot.

These cards are quite rare, but the source I have could get me about 20 brand new in packages. I am about to order 5 for myself, because you can use these cards inside older PowerBooks and give them internal wifi too, so I am going to use them on multiple machines.

So, before I push "send money I don't have in a recession to guy with flush wifi cards", I wanted to query the list to see if anyone else wants one. They will cost $37 US each plus shipping (exactly what he is charging me). So contact me off list if you want one ordered, and I will send you a paypal request for $37 plus real shipping (these are being shipped from the US). I want to make it clear that I will not be making any profit from these, and your card will come straight from the source. I have negotiated this rate with him, where they are retailing for almost $60 each: it is easier to just use me as a POC for the deal because I was going to buy all 20, and then sell them off to people down the road but I am giving interested parties an opportunity now.

But getting the card is only going 50% of the way to getting them functioning inside your Newton or PowerBook. You will also need a cable antenna - older iBooks and PowerBooks' airport antennas work.

The trick is to fit the antennas inside the Newton.

Regards,

Ryan