Re: [NTLK] MessagePad 100

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 00:02:57 EDT

Great question.

According to my research/experience, the jaggies affects every Newton ever made. My 130 has it, for instance, so it's not just a 2000/2100 thing. Also, Apple mentions it in the, for instance, the MP 100 Handbook, stating that jagged lines can appear if you put too much pressure on another part of the screen (i.e. right middle of case where people tend to "pinch" their Newton when holding it). NTLK members have, over the years, discussed the issue at length, and there is a consensus that dirt/grim can get caught along the seam of the case/screen and cause "pressure" to form in those areas, thus causing the jaggies.

Taking apart said Newton and cleaning it is a possible solution.

Another cause was articulated in the Newton's Law... book. They stated that fluctuations in power can cause more "jagged" lines to appear on the Newton: as power fluctuates, the Newton improperly localizes the stylus and lines could then appear in unintended places. This may or may not be an actual cause, and if it is a cause, it could be compounded with the dirt/grim issue.

The authors of Newton's Law noted that when plugged in, the Newton would display more jagged lines when they drew or wrote something. With fresh alkaline batteries (a more steady power source), they noticed a significant improvement such that lines were less jagged when drawing or writing text.

So some things to think about. I would make sure the backup battery is good, and that fresh batteries are in there. I would also take it apart and clean it out, then see what happens.