Re: [NTLK] OMP / MP100 with backlight

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 22:30:49 EDT

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Frank Gruendel <newtontalk@pda-soft.de>wrote:
> For a working Newton backlight you need two
> things:
>
> 1) A display with an integrated backlight foil. To
> the best of my knowledge a display like this never
> existed for the OMP and MP100 models. For the
> MP110/120/130 you could either use a MP130 display
> or one that was made especially for the MP120
> models.

Greetings All,

I should be resting more as I've again hurt my back, but I'm bored after
working the whole day, sitting through a two hour class at the campus and I
also know that I need to get some Newton Stuff for someone... so I'm reading
this and keeping my mind off my back ;-P

So here is my thoughts after doing a quick search.

1) I think it maybe possible to put a backlight into an OMP/MP100.
Though it is a very slim chance.
It would be my belief that if anyone could do it it would be Frank.
Of course I am a bit on the crazy dreamer side of the road and if taunted
long enough I may give it a try if I ever get enough time and the right
parts.

So here is what I found which give me the slightest hope - if what Frank
indicated might leave any chance of anything though his description say
no... :(

1) http://www.compsys1.com/support/docs/ELbacklight_Guide.pdf
This is a DIY guide to EL backlight installation on a small scale. If the
Newton's LCD panel is of similar construction to the smaller example then
there maybe a slim chance it can be done.

> 2) The inverter, which is the hardware that
> produces the relative high voltage AC signal
> required to drive a backlight. There used to be
> solutions, as Sonny pointed out, that lived where
> normally the collapsible pen lives.

In my search today this company offered various drivers/inverters that were