[NTLK] OT: Vancouver Canucks Eliminated Tonight

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 00:02:53 EDT

Hello:

Totally off topic... Canucks 5, Blackhawks 7 (Blackhawks advance to the next round of the playoffs)

Last Canadian team eliminated from this year's Stanley Cup playoffs, and Team Canada also lost the World Championships to Russia yesterday.

Not a good time for Hockey.

I can't believe the Canucks lost to the Blackhawks: 7-5. They kept getting the lead, and the Hawks would just score and come right back. Luongo lets in all those goals...

They should have played tight defensively, like they did in Game 5, and that would have shut down the Hawks offensive. But there was a breakdown defensively, and Alain, the head coach, blew it. I blame him mostly (not entirely) for not shifting to defensive play enough in the latter part of the third period when the Canucks were up 5-4. And Shane O'Brien getting that penalty toward the end... then the Hawks score to make it 5-5.

This is just...

play the neutral zone trap, tighten everything up, and just dump and chase, leaving 3 guys back, one winger high, and another forward deep to chase in their end. Keep a wall in the neutral and clog the offense. It works, but for some reason Alain did not switch it up enough.

So Canadians, or hockey loving Americans, any thoughts?

Ryan