Re: [NTLK] [OT] Canadian minstrels

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 13:22:41 EDT

I think you're on track with Stan Rogers. He's a Canadian treasure.
His brother Garnett also plays beautiful music, though he does not
like to be compared to his brother, nor does he play the old shantys.

Some others that are interesting, especially if you can tolerate
Canadian humor, would be The Arrogant Worms and their song The Last
Saskatchewan Pirate, and Ian Robb who redid Stan's "Barrett's
Privateers" as "Garnetts Home-Made Beer". Of course you cannot ignore
Gordon Lightfoot and his songs The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,
Black Day in July, and the Canadian Railroad Trilogy. Check out www.allmusic.com
  for more info.

For more live action, point your browser over to www.ckua.org and
click on Live on Air. This is our provinces folk/jazz/classical radio
station (anything but top 40 and that hippity hop stuff). A lot of the
presenters are musicians themselves and not just talking heads. The
station is non-profit, has been around for 80+ years and has a music
library that spans 3-5 floors of their building.

Andrei