Re: [NTLK] Linux PDA Similar to Newton

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 01:55:04 EDT

I don't know enough about NOS's internals to call it superior to Mac os x, it kinda seems like an apples/oranges comparison to me as the operational goals of the OS's are different. I do however agree that osx isn't as advanced as it could be because it is based on a command line OS that targeted different ideas, goals, and operational modes then the original Mac os. I side with Steve Wozniack's statement (in his book iWoz) that they should've fixed the classic Mac os. Sure the classic os had its problems and needed a major rewrite to offer a lot of modern features but I'll take those problems and limits over all the tons of backend stuff (bloat) that osx added on because of its roots in command line, posix compatiblity, and out right superfluous nature. How many command line text editors does osx have? If the user doesn't like the one that comes with the system make that user get another one instead of defaulting to installing 3 or 4 on every users system.
By contrast it would seem that NOS would have to avoid bloat at all costs because of its mobile nature and need only to be compatible with itself. But again I don't know much about NOS "behind the scenes", maybe a developer could enlighten us with their comparison of the two OS's?

That's just MHO. I have a very minimalist view on system software. Although I do think more robust options should be available for those that want them I don't think said options should be the default. Minimalism FTW! ;-)

Joe Reilly