[NTLK] MP 2100 connection options

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Tue Nov 17 11:43:51 EST 2009

On 11/17/09, Boyer Jason wrote:

>Is ethernet connection via NCX any easier or harder via wired or wireless?

In my opinion, a wired ethernet connection is more reliable and less
trouble to set up than a wireless connection.

>Also, I just realized last night that my bronze keyboard Lombard doesn't
>actually have ADB, so I'll need a USB dongle coupled with a 9 pin serial
>cable. Has anyone had luck using that format on the Mac side?

I'm using one of these with my Pismo (and I've used it with a Cube, as well):

<http://www.octinc.com.tw/PDF/DK201202.pdf>

Mine matches the picture of the DK202, but it is labeled as a DK201.
They are available off of ebay for pretty cheap (search for 'DK201 USB
dock').  For the 9-pin serial port, it uses the Prolific PL2303 chipset,
and I have used both the Prolific version of the driver,

<http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

and the open source driver:

<http://osx-pl2303.sourceforge.net/>

...without problems with NCX and 'terminal' programs (CoolTerm,
goSerial) to connect to my MP2100s.

Note that this is with a Newton Interconnect Port to 9-pin PC connector
cable.  If you get a dongle to go with your keyboard, you might be
better off going for a Keyspan with the appropriate Macintosh serial
port connector - or cobble up a Mac-to PC serial cable.

HTH...

 - Don