Re: [NTLK] [OT] New Sony eReader PRS-600: Newton/Kindle Killer?

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 07:48:36 EDT

Hello,

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal@netscape.net> wrote:

> My beef with Sony goes back to the fiasco that was MiniDisc
> - what could have been an excellent format and replacement for
> compact cassettes sunk by marketing & protection driven
> paranoia, thusly ...
>
> OK, you can record your own original music. But don't try
> copying it digitally, because although it's your own composition we
> use SCMS so we think you're a copyright cheat.

Weren't there kits you could buy that would allow you to burn out (or somehow disable) the SCMS chip?

I could have sworn an audio geek friend of mine showed me an ad for such a kit in a magazine around the time when MiniDisc and DAT were being taken seriously.

The big laugh was that Sony thought they had everything nicely locked down and tightly controlled, whilst all the time hobbyists were smiling innocently and quietly tweaking things so they could get what they wanted out of the equipment they'd paid money for. :)

Best,

James Fraser