Re: [NTLK] MP 2000 Full Package for Sale

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 13:24:43 EDT

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> It was correctly recelled. All Newtons are potentially subject to this as aging circuitry is the culprit. Pan back in the archives for further discussion.

If it was re-celled with Li-Ion cells and not NiMH cells then it is
not a safe spec to use in a MessagePad 2x00 by someone not fully aware
of the risks. It's not just the charge circuitry, but also the battery
cells that can be damaged (with devastating results) by trying to
charge it in the MessagePad, as Frank noted (and his warning should be
heeded.)

Unless the battery pack is itself permanently labeled as Li-Ion and
not safe to be charged in the Newton, then I'd say it's not something
that's safe to distribute on the list where it may fall into
unsuspecting hands and injure someone. I'm probably overly paranoid
about that kind of thing, but it just seems somewhat poor form in my
mind.

All apologies if everyone considers this an overreaction.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/