Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 03:00:45 EDT

Hello,

--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> iPhone is incredibly well made.

I didn't say it wasn't. I said that it's apparent in comparing the Newton to the iPhone that Apple hews to a different corporate philosophy than the one that was present when the Newton was produced.

Can I get something like the Newton's protective rubberized coating for my iPhone? Sure I can in the form of, say, a silicone case. But my point is that I can only get it as an aftermarket add-on. That is, Apple no longer sees fit to build things like this *into* their devices like they did when the Newton was made.

Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on the type of consumer you are. If you view your tech devices as fashion accessories, it isn't likely to bother you as much. But if you like to keep your gear around for a long time, the current emphasis placed on appearance and styling probably isn't going to appeal to you as strongly.

It's a question of priorities and Apple's priorities have changed along with the name of the company. It's all about Apple broadening their customer base and, in that respect, they've been hugely successful.

Best,

James Fraser