Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 17:06:58 EDT

Hello,

--- On Sat, 9/12/09, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The iPhone feels perfect in my hand. I think it is the best designed >device ever.

The fact that Apple couldn't be bothered to consider the consequences of the iPhone's slick finish once the phone is out of the end user's pocket is, to me, the sign of an engineering deficiency rather than a sign of engineering excellence. YMMV.

> Customer satisfaction has been over 85%, so I guess you are in that small >subset who is not satisfied.

Worse, I'm in the *very* small (and ever-shrinking) subset of people who can remember when Apple actually thought such things through rather than cranking out products that require third parties to sell products that supply Apple's deficiencies. ¬ _¬

I agree that the iPhone is certainly one of the best *looking* devices ever, no question. But best-designed? A well-designed product does not require the end user to "learn how" to hold it properly: competent product engineers are supposed to make this a process that doesn't require consumers to think about it.

The fact that Apple now wants me, the consumer, to help do their thinking for them is indicative of the practices of the new Apple Inc. as opposed to Apple Computer. Fair enough, but it's painful to watch a company once known for thoughtful engineering transform itself into a company where the emphasis is on selling The New Shiny, with the engineering clearly taking a back seat to looks and styling. [rolls eyes]

I guess there's just no pleasing some people. ;)

Best,

James Fraser