Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 07:40:19 EDT

Hi, Jon,

I'm big-time grateful for your numerous excellent contributions to
Newtoneering.

And I deeply commiserate with your more-than-a-decade frustration
with Newton/tablet-less Apple. Apple really dropped the ball on the
future in 1998. Talk about a let-down!

And, yes, it seems typical Newton lovers aren't average/usual
Joes/Janes, the mythical/bankable mass consumer Apple has clearly
been after since iBook (and arguably long before -- I'll never forget
my surprise/delight when Macs debuted in OfficeMax last decade (and
Sharp ExpertPad/Newton)).

Since 1998 I've spent little time/energy agonizing over/researching
whether Apple will make a Mac tablet/stylus/HWR device, but I've
never stopped longing for some such Newton-resembling but more
powerful/larger* machine. That's no small reason I re-joined this
list. Perhaps I've suppressed/repressed some of the
pain/disappointment of the 1998 massacre.

                               *ultimate: Newton-compatible

You may well be right Apple doesn't see a future in what most seem to
be referring to as a tablet computer. Apple expertly leverages
secrecy (and leaks) into max free
publicity/attention/anticipation/longing.

Maybe everyone should be heeding your admonitions to fugettaboutit.
Maybe we're just setting ourselves up for more disappointment/pain.

Time will tell.

At least now there's a ModBook option I can consider when my PB G4 dies.

And I sure hope all the speculation about a Mac tablet proves
prescient and Apple takes at least a few baby steps back/forward
toward Newton and it's promise.

But almost a dozen years later it's hard to get more than bemused
about what Apple Inc. might or might not do. Especially with more
than one spare Newton as insurance against a continuing bleak,
keyboard/trackpad-shackled computing future.

Love,