[NTLK] OT: iPad vs. MS Courier: Sound Off

Riccardo Mori rick at newted.org
Thu Apr 8 18:40:29 EDT 2010

quoth Ryan:

> So I think the only way to predict the future is to be open to it.  To be as objective as possible.  We need to be mindful of the past but we have to realize the immense totality of variables that are at play.

Sure, but you don't seem to be doing that -- realizing the immense totality of variables at play, I mean. Your position about the future seems overly optimistic to me. Mind you, optimism is good, but let's try not to be too naïve. I'm open about the future, yet I wouldn't discard the past too quickly. It's by studying the past that I've learnt that humans haven't learnt all their lessons and have shown at times dangerously recursive behaviours. That's why I try to look at the future with my feet on the ground, so to speak.

For example, if we keep screwing our planet Earth the way we've been screwing it so far, I really don't know how long our future is going to be. Some resources are not infinite, and we can't just rely on our self-preservation instinct and hope for the best.

Rick

System Folder - The Platinum Days
<http://systemfolder.wordpress.com>