[NTLK] MessagePad 100 connectivity.

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 19:47:38 EDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM,  <kameljonathan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For my eMate 300 NOS 2.1, I generally use NCX, an excellent
>> program, on my Intel Mac with a serial adapter. However, I have
>> purchased a MP 100, NOS 1.3,  and I have no idea how to connect to
>> an Intel Mac without Classic Environment! I have the cable and
>> adapter, but the MP runs 1.3, which is not supported by NCX.  I
>> also have a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with a serial adapter, if
>> connecting the MP 100 to that is any easier.
>>
> Man, I'm really outside my sphere of competency here, but it may be
> that Basilisk II let you run Newton Connection Kit to connect. As far
> as I've ever known, only the Newton Connection Kit will work with NOS
> 1.x. It should be on UNNA, and I couldn't begin to guess where to find
> Basilisk II or how to make it work. Sorry.

I've tried both Basilisk II and SheepShaver on my PC/Macs and have
never gotten the serial ports to work correctly. They complain the
port is busy.

Your best option would probably create a Windows 98 virtual machine in
something like VirtualBox. You could do this on either your Mac or
Win7 machine and install the Newton Connection Kit. Then you should be
able to transfer data to/from your Newton.