[NTLK] NCX and Wifi

Michael Grossman ceratoph at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Thu Aug 12 23:53:43 EDT 2010

>>> I suggest you set up a Personal Web Server on your laptop and allow
>>> the Newton
>>> to surf to it with Courier over a wifi connection.  This is the way
>>> I get
>>> software installed on my Newton.  I hope this helps.  The way to do
>>> it on a
>>> Windows desktop is described here:
>>> http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2008/05/going-wireless-downloading-files-from
>>> .
>>> html

I will have to look into this. I completely give up on trying to browse
unna directly with any newton browser: they're just too old. Actually,
unna.org is getting a bit long in the tooth too. I downloaded an old
version of Mail V there and spent forever trying to get it to work with
SDF email. Sometimes an unmaintained central library is worse than no
library. So not being able to install with a tap can be a good thing.

I suspect I am also in version hell with TCP/IP Dock or something it needs
because NCX is crash-tacular! It works once and then never again until I
reset the newton.  I'm using version 1.2 of TCP/IP Dock which is
distributed with NCX.  I tried version 1.3, but it did the same thing and
rendered the newton really flakey: strange things would happen after
a failed attempt to connect like having to tap everything twice to make it
work.

Everything is mostly OK, except when I use TCP/IP Dock twice. After that,
the trees turn into giant mushrooms.