[NTLK] Would or wouldn't you prefer the images on my site to open in a new browser window?

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Fri Aug 13 21:15:10 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

while working on a web page I have noticed that in HTML 4.01 Strict the "target" attribute is no
longer supported. Although all browsers that I know of still support it even if the document type
actually _is_  HTML 4.01 Strict, this means that, strictly speaking, my pages would contain invalid
html code.

To the best of my knowledge this attribute was removed because the powers behind the HTML specs
think that forcing links to open in a new window is impolite to the user. After all, if the user
wants to open the link in a new window, he can do so without a problem.

Still, I'm not sure if I should remove this feature. I assume that someone who looks at e. g. the
disassembly instructions for a 2100

    http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

will probably want to see pretty much every image in higher resolution. The way the page is written
now, seeing and discarding it requires two clicks. One click on the image (which will open it in a
new browser window), and one to close said browser window.

NOT opening it in a new browser window would require two clicks, too. One to get at the image, one
to click on "Back". The latter is what made me choose the new browser window strategy in the first
place. Going back to the previous page often takes, for reasons that are completely beyond my
understanding, significantly longer than simply closing the new browser window. This is why I open
almost EVERY link in a new browser window.

How do you folks out there browse my site's pages? Would you consider it a drawback if images would
no longer open in a new browser window? Or would you even consider it a benefit? I don't think there
will be a unanimous decision, but I hope there will be at least a majority for one way or the other.

If you don't want my pages to change in a way you do not want, make sure to speak up. Since this
isn't really that Newton-specific, please do not post to the list.

Thanks

Frank