[NTLK] Survey on opening images in new browser windows

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sat Aug 14 15:48:04 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I have made a little survey page. Please take a couple of seconds to vote. After all, it is YOU who
I want to make things as easy as possible for.

I posted the reason for this survey yesterday. For those who missed it, here it is again in a
nutshell:

Throughout my site www.pda-soft.de, clicking a small image usually opens the image in higher
resolution in a new browser window.
The current HTML specification (HTML 4.01) does no longer support this feature in the STRICT
version. Although all browsers I have tried it with couldn't care less and open the new window just
fine, using this feature would make almost every page on my site not fully HTML compliant, which
might or might not cause problems in the future.

The main reason for my decision to use the new browser window approach was the fact that re-loading
a page after clicking on BACK often takes significantly longer than simply closing a second browser
window.

Before I remove this feature and make my pages 100% HTML 4.01 compliant, I want to make sure that
YOU, my users, wouldn't consider this change a major drawback.

The survey page requires MacroMedia Player in a version newer than 5.0, so I'm not sure if it will
work with all browsers on all platforms. I've quick-tested it on Windows XP using IE7, Firefox and
Opera.

Before you click on "Vote", please make sure to click on one of the options. By default both are
selected, which makes exactly zero sense in my opinion. Unfortunately, Strato does not allow to
change this, and moreover, who am I to argue with Strato's CGI programmers...

The survey is here:

	http://www.pda-soft.de/cgi-data/webvoting/1_poll.swf

Please do take the little time and vote. You will make my site more user-friendly (or prevent it
from becoming more user-unfriendly).

Thanks

Frank