[NTLK] Survey on opening images in new browser windows

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sat Aug 14 19:39:40 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Frank Gruendel <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:

> Throughout my site www.pda-soft.de, clicking a small image usually opens the image in higher
> resolution in a new browser window.
> The current HTML specification (HTML 4.01) does no longer support this feature in the STRICT
> version. Although all browsers I have tried it with couldn't care less and open the new window just
> fine, using this feature would make almost every page on my site not fully HTML compliant, which
> might or might not cause problems in the future.

The "_target" attribute went away for various reasons (accessibility,
abuse, etc.), but the suggested method of working around this is with
JavaScript. One web site I admin uses the add-event.js & popup.js
scripts which make it to easily add JavaScript pop-ups by merely
adding special commands in a "rel" attribute on the link. See
<http://accessify.com/features/tutorials/the-perfect-popup/> for the
full article incl. description of the problem, solution, downloads of
the aforementioned scripts, and example usage.

This way you get the best of both worlds: browsers w/JavaScript get
the popup windows that you want, older browsers or browsers
w/accessibility in mind won't be tripped up, and your code will be
valid HTML 4.01 STRICT. :)

Morgan
---
http://www.makkintosshu.com/