[NTLK] NCX problem

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Tue Aug 24 09:24:34 EDT 2010

On 24.08.2010, at 14:03, Don Zahniser wrote:

> Hi, Matthias -
>
> Your explanation below doesn't sound as though it is specifically
> applicable to the problem I am seeing; at the point of crash, I've
> never gotten to the point of trying to initiate a connection between
> the Newton and NCX.

Ah yes, I forgot that the original problem was a crash. I thought it was a hang. Silly me.

> However, it does shed light on a possible explanation for the
> occasional failure of a connection that I have seen when installing
> packages over serial (my most frequent usage of NCX).  Both NCX and
> the Newton seem to still 'think' everything is fine, but the transfer
> just seems to stop.  Sometimes it will resume, but then again it
> often will not.  This is for maybe one package installation out of
> 10. Again, this is using the PL2303 open source driver.  I haven't
> used the Prolific driver in a couple of years.

Since the driver is OpenSource, there may be some configuration parameter at compile time (or even at run time). This could at least remove those burst transfers. It will not introduce the pause though. Not sure if that will fix the hang (not the crash ;-)

 - Matthias