[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay

Woody Smith woodysmith at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 14:49:36 EDT 2010

As James said the hinge repair is very very important and failure of
the hinge is likely what happened to your other eMate.  This is a
relatively easy fix.

The operating system is built into ROM and has had numerous patches.
Also on ROM are NewtWorks and Newtworks Draw as well as other
applications and extensions that are identified as 'Built in'.  A
brainwipe will restore the eMate to its factory configuration plus
system patches.  System patches cannot be removed normally, the
exception is to install a different ROM board such as a German
language or a 2x00 ROM board (not recommended).  It is recommended to
upgrade to the latest official system patch then install Eckhart
Koeppen's 2010 patch from <http://40hz.org/Pages/Patch%2073J186>

Most of the software that was on the original disk is not especially
relevant any longer.
for email you will want to use Simon Bell's Mail V.
Web use Courier or NewtsCape
for connection to modern Mac use NCX
for PC you will still use NCU, but the version on the original disk
would need updating I believe.

if you are familiar with the eMate then you won't need the eMate tour
but it might be useful for a brush up.

Most important is, Can you install packages now and how are you doing
it?

Woody