[NTLK] wireless connectivity

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Aug 31 09:31:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM, PMichael Rodgers <pmiker at copper.net> wrote:

>  I am told the router has 128 bit encryption (WPA-PSK), supports
> 802.1b.

While the Lucent/ORiNOCO/etc (all different branding of the same card)
WaveLAN Gold (or WaveLAN Silver that has been upgraded w/Gold's
firmware) are 802.11b and will work with 128-bit WEP encryption (as
does the Buffalo/MELCO card that I have), sadly, none of them will
work with WPA encryption.

You would have to either downgrade the encryption to 128-bit WEP
(which I highly suggest _not_ doing as it's easily & quickly hacked
these days) or turn off encryption completely for the Newton to be
able to connect. My guess is that both are not going to be options as
this is a business WiFi access point.

If you are allowed physical access to the ethernet network, I'd
suggest an ethernet card for the Newton. It's the same setup procedure
(sans the need for wifi drivers and the headache of trying to enter
the correct WEP key in hex), should be a hair faster (less latency,
although I don't know if its discernible) and it might even be easier
on the batteries.

Morgan
---
http://www.makkintosshu.com/