[NTLK] Updating the Newton OS of an Original MessagePad

Riccardo Mori rick at newted.org
Sat Dec 4 20:57:07 EST 2010

Hi all, Newtonfolks!

Thanks to [you know who you are], I'm a very proud owner of an Original MessagePad. I've received the unit with what I suppose is a default factory installation as it came out in 1993. So, it comes with NOS 1.04, which I wanted to update to the latest possible version on an OMP. (By the way, is that NOS 1.11 or is it possible to install NOS 1.3 on this model?)

Anyway, I fired up my trusty PowerBook 5300, downloaded and installed Newton Connection (the 2.0 update), and the NOS 1.11 pkg from UNNA. After figuring out that the Connection interface on such an early system is a bit cruder than the more complete NOS 2.1 Dock app interface, I managed to install the NOS 1.11 successfully (as reported by Newton Connection).

I expected the Newton to self-reboot, as an MP2x00 would do with a system update, but instead nothing happened. I pushed the reset button, but the OMP just rebooted in NOS 1.04.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers,
Rick