[NTLK] Followup: Fonts for the pda-soft site

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 16:37:23 EST 2010

On 17/12/10 10:55PST, Frank Gruendel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have uploaded two more version for you to judge.
>
> Here's the initial version with Times New Roman plain:
>
> 	<http://www.pda-soft.de/en/hardware/emate/ematecable/ematecable.html>
>
> The same using Times New Roman bold, which most of you seem to think is better than the original:
>
> 	<http://www.pda-soft.de/en/hardware/emate/ematecable/ematecableboldfont.html>
>
> Here's the same using Comic Sans MS in black (my favourite among the standard fonts):
>
> 	<http://www.pda-soft.de/en/hardware/emate/ematecable/ematecablecomicsansblack.html>
>
> Last not least, here's the same with dark brown text:
>
> 	<http://www.pda-soft.de/en/hardware/emate/ematecable/ematecablecomicsansbrown.html>
>
> The last one is my favourite because it goes best with the rest of the site design. But if I were to
> use Comic Sans MS, I would need to ask you to test the page in all those browsers again, because
> there seem to be some minor issues with this font. For example, it is supposed to not display well
> in Safari if it is bold, so please search for the word "between" and check that it looks OK.
>
> Compared to 1 and 2 the font looks much larger although I didn't change the size. Do you consider
> this a benefit or a drawback? Personally, the first thing I'd do on such a page is use page zoom to
> reduce the font size in order to not overly tire my eye muscles...
>
> Please let me know what you think. Be aware that this might be the font that you will be forced to
> look at for the rest of your life if you browse my site, so don't hesitate to speak up even if you
> are normally in lurker mode :-)
>
> Frank
>
> -- Newton software and hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

OK, Frank, here is my take for an iMac G5 running Mac OS 10.5.8, with
the following browsers:

Camino 2.0.6
Firefox 3.6.13
iCab 4.8.0
Safari 5.0.3
Stainless 0.7.5

And for my iPad & iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.2.1 with:

iCab Mobile
Opera Mini
Safari

All looked good, but my preferences would be:

Comic Sans Brown
Bold
Comic Sans Black

--