[NTLK] Einstein: new version for Snow Leopard released

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Fri Feb 5 10:32:46 EST 2010

On 05.02.2010, at 16:14, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG at aafes.com> wrote:
>> Wasn't the Newton modem (the external one) a 2400 baud modem?   I had a T-Jack 2400 PCMCIA modem for my Newton 110.   Though that was slow even for then (1994) I still thought the modem looked cool.
>>

> Yes, it was 2400bd for data, but 9600 for fax, both directions. While
> my 9600bd modem was much faster at email than my Newton cig modem, it
> didn't travel well, so I typically put up with 2400bd for months on
> end with mine. I actually enjoyed it. I would sit in someone's kitchen
> and download my AOL email, and they would be just amazed that
> something so small could do that! ;-) Oh well.... times _do_ change.
> ;-)

I used a Robolink(?) at university times. Unfortunately even local calls were not flat rate in Germany at that time, so having a faster modem would pay back quickly. Then however, Postal Services had a monopoly on the phone lines and connecting anything but "Post" equipment ($3000 and up) was illegal and warranted a house search by the police! Dangerous times ;-)