[NTLK] Times do change

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 11:52:02 EST 2010

I remember my first BBS. I had it operating on a Atari XL with memory
expansion. I had a 128K floppy, a 360k floppy and a 64k ram drive. I used
the Atari 300 baud modem which did not have ring detection hardware. I added
a neon bulb across the phone line sealed in an old film can with a cds cell
which was hooked into the joystick port. When ever the computer saw the
joystick trigger, it sent a command to the modem to answer the phone. All of
this of course was possible because you had the source code which you could
modify yourself. I added multiple message boards and download areas, a sysop
pager and all kinds of things. Sometimes I miss that simplicity. Until I
play my next kick a$$ video game or Email or GPS mapping, then I remember
why I like modern computers.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)