[NTLK] Re : Airport Card on eMate (or other Wifi solution)

Thick Parasite thickparasite at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 11:53:56 EST 2010

> ----------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:41:16 +0100
> From: Thick Parasite <thickparasite at gmail.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Airport Card on eMate (or other Wifi solution)
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
>
> Hi all,
>
> I wondered if it's possible to hook up an Airport card onto an eMate 300.
> Those comments on AppleFritter made me think it's possible
> http://www.applefritter.com/node/3736#comment-6203
>
> However, suggested links are dead
> http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2002-01/2109.html
> http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm<http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/%7Engc/eng/newtwave.htm>
>
> What is wrong with the newtontalk.net one ?
>
> Actually, there might be easier and cheaper ways to connect my eMate 300 to
> WIFI.
> I found this link, which uses a Lucent WaveLAN card, but couldn't find one
> for sale at a decent price :(
> http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/669/getting-your-emate-wireless
>
> I used the search on newtontalk but didn't find anything worth it
> http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&w=2&r=1&s=emate+wifi&q=b (thank you James
> Wages for this great search link)
>
> To your knowledge, what is the best solution to go wireless ?
>
> Thanks for helping (please excuse the bad English, but I'm French)
>
> Happy New Year
> Laurent
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:13:07 +0000
> From: Reilly001os at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Airport Card on eMate (or other Wifi solution)
> To: "NewtonTalk" <newtontalk at newtontalk.net>
>  <878858626-1262531587-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1161006983- at bda329.bisx.prod.on.blackberry

> Hi Laurent,
> To the best of my knowledge the wavelan cards are a safe bet. I've seen it
> said that there are also relabeled wavelans out there too (some dell brand
> cards I think). I'm not sure which wavelan is best though
> (gold/silver/bronze). That being said, I use a netgear MA401 that works
> pretty well (antenna is a little big though). Also I believe the airport
> cards are a slightly modified pinout from standard pcmcia so they won't work
> as far as I know. Hope that helps.
>
> Joe Reilly

Hi Joe,

After further research, I did find some used Gold Wavelan for $15 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-Lucent-Wavelan-Orinoco-PCMCIA-802-11b-Mac-Win_W0QQitemZ230349524403QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

I will investigate the differences between gold/silver/bronze; just to be
sure this one will do the trick.

Thanks for helping.
Now, I will gear towards the WaveLan solution.