[NTLK] Speaking of WiFi cards

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 11:27:38 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Dennis B. Swaney <romad at aol.com> wrote:

> I sent this a few days ago but I never saw it arrive, so I'm re-sending it.
>

> What is the difference between the Lucent Orinoco Gold and the Proxim
> Orinoco Gold? Just a re-branding? How do these compare with the Entersys
> Networks RoamAbout?

Hey Dennis,

I'm going to carefully tread here since I'm not totally sure.
>From what I understand the Lucent/Proxim and Entersys are just rebranded
cards (they are 16bit WiFi cards which handle 802.11 a/b. They are actually
all the same other than the string hard encoded internally which tells the
Newton what brand of WiFi Card is inserted into it's PCMCIA Slot.

However the 32bit (which iirc is the 802.11 a/b/g version are also all the
same with their particular hard encoded string but are unusable on a Newton.
(signified by the gold strip along the top of the connector end)

Please some one correct me if there are any errors in my description ^_^.

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family