[NTLK] [OT] for other Newtonians of the Tryzub, greetings

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 20:49:56 EST 2010

~~~ On 2010/01/07 22:10, Matt Howe at matthowe at comcast.net wrote ~~~

> My wife is Slovak and we have traditions like that but mostly around Easter.
> I don't recognize the names but I know a lot of those recipes are
> multinational and multicultural. We have Hungarian and Polish friends that
> have the same recipes, only the names have changed. So describe Kutia and
> some of the others and I'll see what I can do.

Sorry Matt, I missed this at first. I have a load of e-mails to catch up.  I
have most of the recipes -- as far as a recipe can be said to represent
accurately how something is actually made -- even the one for kutia.  But
some of these things are *monsters* to try and carry out correctly.  Baba
would *say* "1 cup of ____" but the few times I watched her in action "1
cup" seemed capable of being anything between 6 oz and 10 oz, depending upon
which ingredient and which recipe is in question.

But the real problem is adequate technique, and that's something I don't
seem to have.  Several of these things, besides taking a lot of time to
prepare (unless you're well-practised at them all), require a certain knack.
It depresses me even remembering previous attempts at some things.

But thanks for the offer.  Now if you know a good Ukrainian who could
air-express a CARE package .... ;-)

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant