[NTLK] [OT] for other Newtonians of the Tryzub, greetings

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:19:35 EST 2010

~~~ On 2010/01/12 00:39, Matt Howe at matthowe at comcast.net wrote ~~~

> Alas, I am in North America, in Michigan. Single digits Fahrenheit last
> night and enough new snow to make the trip in hazardous. SO I guess I can't
> help you out.

I thought I remembered that.  So you're having a warm winter this year eh?
I'd have thought you guys would've been in the minus range by now.  Over
here in Britain, people have been tricked in their minds by the switchover
some years back to Celsius, so they imagine it's cold just because it's near
zero.  Years ago I gave up reminding them that real zero is -17º Celsius,
and what they call zero is only freezing; they just don't make the mental
adjustment.  So last week when it was really around 0º, all they could think
of was that their thermometers said "-17º" or even "-20º", and they acted
like a bunch of Floridians in Siberia.  Pffft!

But anyway Matt, thanks for even offering.  It's a great thought.  If Brits
can feel colder by a trick done with numbers, I can sit here and enjoy the
Svyat Vechir by a trick done with words.  Mmmmm!

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4