[NTLK] h*cks, kr*ks, SN

Ryan Vetter physicalconstants at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 17 14:31:02 EST 2010

Andrei and others:

This is certainly a hot topic, always is.  Please consider:

You are right about protecting copyrights. But Newton users also have good points when it comes to being charged for abdonware. That they don't think they should be charged for it. First when these things are abandoned the author offers zero support. Second, this is a platfirm long dead. Many of us have spent countless unpaid hours helping people on this list, spending money testing things to better our knowledge of the Newton, etc. Myself, I paid and still pay for www.newtonknowledge.com, which is a great knowledgebase for the Newton; I spent hundreds of dollars to figure out the internal wifi installation that is now free for the public to follow the instructions; people like Simon Bell who offer pretty much the best software for free for the Newton (Email programs).

Then there's those programmers who still want to make money off of Newton users.  The Newton died in 1997.  I know there was a time when things were looking up, and the promise of making money off of your software was there.  But Jobs pulled the plug.  It's a collectors device, with a small base of actual users now.  By no means is this device pervasive.  Former Newton software programmers would probably be better off focusing energy on creating iPhone Apps, and forgetting about making money off the Newton.  Because that is what this is really about.  Making money.  You said that if you looked at it, you might have made a few dollars an hour writing software for the Newton.

I'll share something with you.  After all the hours I have put in helping people, sharing information, setting up www.newtonknowledge.com... and selling the odd Newton piece of hardware for zero profit, my hourly rate is in the negative.

At least the poster is contacting the authors though.  I agree with you on copyright issues.

All the best.