[NTLK] Ethernet Wifi Adapter Thoughts

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Mon Jan 18 00:27:25 EST 2010

On Sunday, January 17, 2010, at 09:46PM, "SteveCraft" <steve at craftsathome.net> wrote:
>So I finally spent some time looking around for a "wireless game adapter",
>aka "wireless ethernet bridge". I think that using a wired Ethernet card in
>a Newton/eMate and connecting that to a different device will let me get on
>wirelessly with the latest protocols, at a cost of physical portability.
>

>Anyway, I think the D-Link DWL G820 will do the job because its data sheet
>specifies that it has telnet-based management/configuration, not requiring
>browser capability that is beyond what a Newt can normally handle.
>

>Can anyone else recommend any other adapter?

Steve:

The Newton archives, tips, forums, etc are full of references to the Lucent Technologies WaveLan IEEE Turbo Silver (and Gold) cards. You can still find these from time to time on eBay.

Hiroshu Noguchi wrote some drivers for these cards, and they are found here: http://drvlabo.jp/old/eng/newtwave.htm . It was released into the Public Domain some time ago, so no registration is necessary (or even possible--registration closed 12/29/05).

I have the Gold version--it works great...I've had no problems after my initial setup (I had some software conflicts within the Newt that prevented my connecting to my wireless router).

Hope that helps!

--anasazi4st