[NTLK] [FS] MessagePad 2000 to good home

John Whitin jwhitin at mac.com
Mon Jan 18 16:01:22 EST 2010

Dear Newton Enthusiasts

On a whim about seven years ago, I bought a neighbor's MessagePad 2000. After a few weeks, I lost interest in using it, but admire those folks who continue to support the community of Newton users. Now is the time to pass this particular MessagePad to someone who will use and appreciate it.

I started it up yesterday so that I can more accurately convey its condition. I think this MessagePad was originally used in a pilot project at the Stanford University School of Medicine (I bought it from a person finishing his residency and moving away). He had used it just enough for the case to have minor indicators of use, like going into and out of a medical coat with a stethoscope. I would give the condition as 'very good' to 'excellent'. It has the original stylus, the screen has no blemishes that I can see, and the backlight still works and seems quite bright (but I have nothing to compare it to, and it's the only MessagePad I've touched in the last 10 years). It comes in a synthetic fabric zipper Newton case that also has a fold-out keyboard tucked inside. There's a charger - but I have no idea if it works (I used AA batteries to start it up). There are separate sets of disks for Mac and Windows: Newton Software Backup Disk, Third-Party Backup Software Disk, Newton Connection Utilities (3 disks), plus a CD with 'Connection Utilities Update'. Lastly, there's a floppy disk 'Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient' for Windows, from Mosby-Year Book, dated 1996. There are a bunch of manuals - Quick Start, Users Manual, Connection Manual, all in pristine condition. There's also a 16 MB Flash card still in its holder - it doesn't look like it was ever used (the size of a thick credit card!!). All this stuff comes in the original cardboard Newton retail box, its condition what you would expect for something that's been in the back of a closet for years. I have no idea whether it's been updated - wasn't there an upgrade path to the 2100? Nor can I tell you what version the OS is, although I'll look it up if you tell me how.

So, there you have it - or rather, you could have it. You all know what it's worth, and I frankly don't. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area - Palo Alto, actually. Make me an offer - this is not an auction. My goal is to get it to someone soon (and easily), and priority will be given to someone who's enthusiastic about getting it. This baby was meant to be enjoyed, not stuffed in the back of a closet.

Please reply directly to me:

jwhitin at mac.com

John